Looking for a new job? Tired of the amount of time it takes to find what you're looking for? Well, then, look no further because I have a solution for you! Ok, now that I have your attention and got the whole smarmy infomercial salesman pitch out of the way, I'll explain where I'm going with this.

I've been looking for a new job recently and found that there are a lot of helpful sites out there to aid my search. While I primarily have been looking at such sites as Craigslist, Monster, and Indeed (which is a great site, BTW), the task at hand can be labor intensive and cumbersome. A great way to streamline this effort is to compile RSS (Real Simple Syndication) feeds from your job searches. Couple that with a RSS reader to house them and you'll be on your way as a more efficient job searcher!

For example, go to Craiglist and type in "Office Administrator" in the "search craiglist" box and pull the drop-down menu to the "jobs" section.



Next, hit enter or click on the > symbol and then scroll down to the bottom right hand corner of the results page where you will see a "RSS" link.



Click on this and then choose the reader that will house your feeds (I use Google Reader, so for this post I'll use this as the example). Select "Add to Google Reader" and you're done!



For Indeed (or any site that supports RSS), it's essentially the same thing. Enter in the key word like the one above in the "what" box and then click the "Find Jobs" button.



On the next page where the job listings appear, scroll to the right hand column and click on the "RSS Job Feed" link.



I have used RSS feeds for a while now, but for some reason didn't think to use this feature for my job searches. Now, in Google Reader I have a separate folder designated for all of these and have eliminated the need to go these sites separately, which in turn has sufficiently cut the amount of time down and made things a whole lot easier on myself because it's all in a centralized location. I realize that most of you already know these hints, but it's always good to throw this out there so that everyone is in the know.

0 comments: