We watched High Fidelity tonight (which was my -- oh, I don't know, umpteenth time!), and thought what better than to post my top five (ok, I lied, how about 10*!) records of all time. So, here goes:

- The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream -- Perfection!!
- U2 - The Joshua Tree
- Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun
- Radiohead - OK Computer
- The Cure - Disintegration
- Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
- The Pixies - Surfer Rosa
- The Beatles - The White Album
- The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Methodrone -- crap, "Take it from the man" and/or "Thank God for Mental Illness" could as well be here, too
- PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

**Honorable Mention**

- Jeff Buckley - Grace
- The National - Alligator
- Peter, Bjorn, and John - Writer's Block
- Stereolab - ABC Music: The Radio 1 Sessions -- more of a compilation, but still a favorite
- Superdrag - Regretfully Yours
- Interpol - Turn on the bright lights
- Elliott Smith - XO
- Beck - Sea Change
- Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place
- Coldplay - Parachutes
- Nirvana - Nevermind
- The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
- The Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill


That's a wrap, folks. I know there are some that I missed, but that's where you step in. I'm interested to hear what YOUR top records are...


* I couldn't help myself and had wa-a-y to much fun doing this

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Second OK Computer, Joshua Tree, License to Ill.

    To make 10, give me some Queen, either Jazz or Night at the Opera, Dark Side of the Moon (cliche I know, but changed how I thought about guitar), Sublime by Sublime, anything by Marley (Legend, perhaps?), Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy (not their most popular, but very innovative/entertaining tracks), Tragic Kingdom and Hot Fuss.

    Honorable Mention: Turn the Radio Off (Reel Big Fish), Fashion Nugget (Cake), The Wanderer (O.A.R), Dizzy up the Girl (Goo Goo Dolls),
    Swagger (Flogging Molly), White Blood Cells (White Stripes), Smash (Offspring).

    I was able to think of a bunch of bands that I love, but that didn't have one iconic album that I could promote above the others or listen to on loop: REM, Aerosmith, ACDC, Rolling Stones and maybe the Beatles (though I do really like Pepper).

  2. El Duderino said...

    Nice picks P. I like me some Freddie Mercury as well -- he's arguably one of the top vocalists of our generation. As far as DSOTM is concerned, I think a lot of musicians would agree with you.